Saturday, September 12, 2009

September challenge

The weather is cool and cloudy. I take it as a personal insult. It doesn’t make you want to throw the door open and invite the outdoors in. it’s not room temperature outdoors. It’s not, at first glance, beautiful. Does this mean the good times over? Is that why I’m not grilling the food on the patio at night and listening to the crickets as the twilight deepens. Am I turning into a wimp? This quickly? Where are my winter clothes?...
After scowling around the kitchen for a while, I finally open the door and step outdoors. Not so bad. Strangley evocative. Is it that back to school feeling? The world is lying low, but has not exactly gone away. There may be some life in the old globe still…. I stand on the porch judging existence until the cat finds me. when she realizes it’s really me, and not perhaps some cleverly disguised imposter seeking to lure her to her doom, she scampers up the steps and meows. That means I am supposed pick her up and personally carry her back indoors, which she believes is her only means of getting through the kitchen door. I do it. Kitty has already turned up her tail on this day. She’d rather go back to bed. She has flunked September.
What about me? Will I rise to the challenge of these darker days? Find a sweatshirt or two. Adapt to change. Tune in…

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bob, now it's brighter at last! I really like this blog. This whole late summer I have been noticing this noise at night--not crickets or birds, and finally determined it was tree frogs. (I looked them up on the internet.) I think because the summer was so wet. Now I look forward to nights I can leave the window open to hear them chirping to each other. Do you have them?

    ReplyDelete