Sunday, January 6, 2019

The Garden of Verse: Taking a Look at What's Almost Sure to Happen in 2019 -- Twelve Months


Now that we've finally dispatched 2018 -- perhaps the worst year in American political history (or tied with 2017) outside of the Civil War period -- to the kindness of history, it's time to greet 2019 with poems of the season. 
          Or seasons. 
          Yes, I may be going out on a limb here, but my prediction is that 2019 will include four seasons and all 12 months.
           That's the rational for my poem in the new January 2019 issue of Verse-Virtual.com, titled "Calendar Poems." 
           The piece consists of 12 short poems, one for each month, each suggesting some element of the named month that's important to me.  
            Here's the part about January: 

January
More Snow Coming
 
Blue snow at twilight
The silence of the day.
On our daughter’s Beirut balcony
the bougainvillea grows new leaves.

             We'll see if I'm right. I have a strong, experientially based expectation (call it a gut feeling) that we'll have some snow this month to break the ice of a so far snowless winter. (The photo above illustrates this prediction.)
              For February, I'm doubling down on the weather talk:
 
 
February
Icicles Bar My Window
 
‘Snew?
Snow!
Snow what?
New snow swallows the sidewalk
Now our car’s snowhere

 

               You can read the rest of this poem here, 


and check out the work of 30 poets in all here: 


           I wish everybody the best of years in 2019. Here's hoping that all your months are full of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment