Monday, January 26, 2015

Memories of Summer: My Poem in The Bombay Review

 My poem recalling the sufferings of keeping your garden watered in a dry summer was published in the December issue of the online literary journal The Bombay Review. Here's the poem. I posted the link to the journal below, if you wish to take a look at the journal online. It's a very attractively designed web product, with good stuff to read.


My Aching Back – Robert Knox

Bees dart between the streams of spray —
They don’t like my rain delays

Bare-stemmed, burned out by the long dry spell
The plants wait patiently for rain

I bend to the task, patience my name
Bearing the heavy pail through twisty garden paths
Aquarius with a sore-point shoulder

A summer day too late for the name
I cheat with the sprinkler
The weary tomatoes rejoice,
flapping their yellow palms and withered phalanges in the spray

A time-worn rain machine
I sit on the borders of my storm
My fountain arcing to the blue

Patter of little foot-drops tom-toming across the hard paths,
stone slices louder than the parched and particled soil

In dreams I chastise my civilized oppressors
begging them at last to step out of doors
and lift their faces to the sky
to drink of the balm that must some day come



http://thebombayreview.com/my-aching-back-robert-knox/

No comments:

Post a Comment