Friday, December 8, 2017

The Garden of Verse: My Poem in a Beautiful Book; A Memory of Spring



I have an Easter poem, titled "A Certain Day in Spring," in the recently published final edition of Vine Leaves Literary Journal, a journal closing its six-year run with a beautifully designed coffee table hardcover issue. 
The book is over 200 pages and includes literally hundreds of full-color illustrations, plus something over 200 poems and "vignettes." 
           I'm very happy to have a poem of mine included in his hardcover book. The only downside is that the book, given its size and lavish use of color and art has a high price, at $60.
            The full title is "Vine leaves Literary Journal: A Collection of Vignettes From Across the Globe," compiled and edited by Jessica Bell. Here's a link to the publisher's site:
http://www.vineleavespress.com/vine-leaves-literary-journal-a-collection-of-vignettes-from-across-the-globe.html 

           Since the contents of the book are not available online, I'll post my poem here:




A Certain Day In Spring

I cry in the same place every year
I remember to bring tissues, but I don't remember why
We are called upon to respect others
The minister, recalling an incident involving her wife and their child
explodes the canon of pronouns
We breathe the fragrance of potted pink hyacinths
People older than us shamelessly singing
choruses of 'Hallelujah!'

At night I strive to recall
the wisest of all her sayings.
'the sacrament of tears'
I listen to songs named 'Two Souls,' 'Sacred Nature,' 'My Brother's Keeper.'
Isaac turns in a slow circle, expectantly for the ram
Now we will live forever




            The minister referred to here is Rev. Pamela L. Werntz, Rector at Emmanuel Church, an Episcopal church in Boston. Her Easter sermons are a revelation.





No comments:

Post a Comment